Tuesday, May 26, 2009

BARR


I think short hair gets the chicks these days but I'm not sure. I have a feeling if I take the plunge to shave my head people are going to think I'm weird.

But then again I'm not in BARR - a four-piece-formerly-solo-project-band fronted by founder Brendan Fowler (a man who may just be the center of hipster garabe in New York City) who play rather bouncy, poppy, tight-bass tambourine-filled tunes accompanied by some of the most strangely addicting vocals I've heard all year. The key to BARR is that they don't sing, they talk. I'm not even really a fan of spoken word, but this is totally awesome. Brendan's lyrics, in his own words, are about 'being super fucking stressed out, broken and angry' - 'totally violent, totally grabby. Huggy, totally pushy-pully punchy,' and I couldn't have put it better myself. I would rather like to hug him, as he would rather like to hold someone. I think it would feel good, man.

Think of them as those conversations you have with yourself late at night in your room, possibly at like 2 in the morning, where you think about all the stuff you've done in the past year, or how you regret messing things up with that one girl you'll always be in love with, with three people (probably dressed in brightly-colored XS tees and shorts) playing interpretations of Wavves songs minus the feedback. It's a bit complex, but like, really excitng, and radical, and all those words.

You can get the new album 'Summary' from iTunes, or check out a tune below.

MP3: BARR - The Song Is The Single
BUY: BARR - Summary CD from Amazon

6 comments:

steve said...

no myspace link. nice post though, they sound awesome... i ll check them out x

Anonymous said...

Have you linked the right band's myspace :S
Doesn't look like it'd be them from that picture

Ed said...

right myspace link now

Anonymous said...

Short hair?
You will go from pixplzkthnx to fail in seconds.
Don't go there.

David - Separated By Motorways said...

this description has made them sound like they should be my favourite band in the world, if they're not i'm going to be so dissapointed

ItMustBeKate said...

I don't know if I like the band, but I effing love this writing style.